Friday, August 04, 2006

Sussing out the SuperBand contenders

I’m getting front-row views in perhaps the biggest and most happening concert to shake our small island this Saturday Aug 5; so close will I be to the stage that I’m not ruling out breathing in the singers’ sweat and tears. If you don’t know where I’ll be, it’s time to clue yourself in to the local scene.

Kwok Kar Peng

MG_0017.jpg

I don’t have much time left; in fact I have just three mere days left. I’ve got to pick a nice outfit, gain hawk-like night vision, quicken my eye-to-hand reflexes and train my biceps and triceps, almost Mission: Impossible IV I say. But for the cute, and oh yah talented, guys from SuperBand Grand Final, and special guests Zhang Zhenyue, MC Hotdog, Free 9, Kelly Poon and Hong Junyang, I’m willing to do all that.

Y’see, I’ve been chasing these bands way back when they were still hopefuls lining up for that 30-second audition potshot in Orchard Road. In fact, I’m quite proud to say that finalist J3 were my first. Interviewees I mean. What a polite bunch of lads, I had thought to myself.

Then I met MiLu Bing at their first photo and video shoot where they wondered aloud in front of me whether they should be typed as ‘MiLu Bing’ or ‘Mi Lu Bing’. Smart move; they are one keyboard space closer to their dream drink Milo.

Actually, I’m placing all of my spare change that MiLu Bing will win the competition. Belinda Lee, one of the hosts for the competition and now a cheerleader in the Grand Final, agrees with me. “They’ve found their own style and they’re cute and talented. A lot of aunties, uncles and youngsters like them,” she chirrups.

Amen. These boys had their popularity carved in stone when they became known as the ‘good, church-going boys’. How many generous Christians are there in Singapore all too willing to support their brothers- and sisters-in-Christ and propel them into mega-stardom? Just ask Sun Ho.

No offence to the rest of the finalists though. J3 sing almost in perfect harmony and already have the manners to become big stars; they are even voted most likely to win SuperBand in the online forum poll. But when I look at their sweet gentle faces and listen to their sweet clear voices, two words flash across my mind: Dreamz FM.

MG_0060.jpg

At least Dasmond Koh, who by the way will be one of the hosts in the Grand Final next to Jeff Wang and Milk, likes them. “I like those who hold on to their music principles, like the lead singer who refuses to take off his cap,” he says.

SOUL wears a lot of caps too (metaphorically), these five handsome boys can sure whip up some mean and sexy moves on the dance floor. And their singing’s not bad too. Host Jeff Wang sums it aptly when he said, “SOUL has the right packaging. They are good; they sing and dance and have idol looks. Plus, there are no boybands in our local market now.”

With all their individual family, relatives, ex-classmates, friends, students (two of them are freelance dance instructors) and fans all added up, the number of votes they get must be pretty mind-boggling but it’s still a hard match for MiLu Bing’s, IMHO.

Lastly, there’s the Visual Kei J-Rock band Lucify who really aren’t as scary as they look on stage, or their name implies. (Their band name does not refer to the Devil. Click here for how they arrived at the name Lucify!) Despite their solid music performances and refreshing divergence from the norm, it’s a love-or-hate-‘em case here, and often it’s over their ‘strange’ get-up. Charlyn Lin, SuperBand host and cheerleader in the Grand Final together with Y.E.S 93.3FM DJs Lin Peifen and Xiao Jiahui, gives Lucify two thumbs-up: “Their brand of Japanese-styled appearances is very new to Singapore and they shine on stage!”

Guess that means I have to get myself a pair of shades.

Click here for the Grand Final song list and Telepoll numbers!

Results will be based entirely on public votes. Eliminated SuperBand contestants JADE, QI:NOBE, AMBER, BRODS, Juz-B, Man Tou, Jing Bao Yue Tuan, Summer Breeze, Glamours, G-Force will also be performing in the Grand Final.

If you got yourself tickets to the SuperBand Grand Final this Saturday Aug 5 at the Singapore Expo, then hurray to you too! If you hadn’t, then get yourself some chips and remember to plonk yourself in front of your telly for the ‘live’ telecast at 7.30pm on Channel U!

MG_0012.jpg MG_0007.jpg

MG_0041.jpg Mi-Lu-Bing.jpg

MG_0018.jpg MG_0068.jpg

No comments: